Raf Stations



RAF Ramsey 

Located in the midlands approximately seven miles southwest of Coventry, RAF Ramsey served a number of training and operational units during after WWII. The name was changed to RAF Honiley in August1941, the airfield closed in 1958, and the buildings demolished during the 1960s. The author's father spent some time at an airfield near Coventry, and it is thought it might be RAF Ramsey.



No. 4 RAF Hospital Rauceby

Featured at the end of the novel, No. 4 RAF Hospital Rauceby located near Sleaford had an interesting history. Rauceby opened as Lunatic Asylum in 1902, but was taken over in 1940 to serve as a satellite hospital to the RAF Cranwell medical facility, with about 1000 beds. It's focus was the Crash and Burns unit which supported aircrew injured on operations. 

Among the team of doctors was the pioneering plastic surgeon, New Zealander Dr. Archibald McIndoe. Many of his early patients forming a drinking club known as the 'Guinea Pig Club' in reference to the experimental nature of their treatment. McIndoe believed that hiring nurses who were both kind and extremely pretty was good for the patients' moral. Many former patients believe their recovery was due in large part to the presence of these remarkably stoic women. 

Following the war, in 1947, the Rauceby facility was handed over to the newly formed National Health Service. As of writing, the buildings of Rauceby were being demolished to make way for a housing development.


Continued

©  2013SWH